BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, April 8, 2011

"You talkin' to me?!"

First off, a disclaimer: I am writing this during the Yankees/Red Sox game so if there are any curses or cheers thrown in, you understand why...


I recently had a friend tell me that they were going to change the way they conversed on Twitter because of the complaints and unwelcome criticism. I had someone tell me two days ago that I should never curse on Twitter or Facebook. Today, I was indirectly made fun of for cheering for the Yankees in my own way.

Did I miss something? When did it become ok to tell people how to express themselves and how to use their free speech?

I understand that I am a mother and a friend and a daughter and a girlfriend. I understand that my "online" persona is created and molded by the comments I make, pictures I post and conversations I have. I understand that the friends that I keep closest to me make me seem like I'm in a "clique". I understand that people do not agree with everything I have to say and I do not agree with everything I read. I understand that as a trained engineer, my writing skills are horrendous.

And yet, I will change nothing. I will continue to express my opinions, my feelings and my convictions as I see fit. I will continue to curse, make fun of myself and profess my undying love for my friends and family. I will not allow comments that others make about me affect my crazy, disconnected, sometimes geeky thought process.

Why will I continue doing what I do? Because I'm me. If I changed, I'd be doing it for the wrong reasons. No one should change anything about themselves for any reason other than that they are doing it for themselves (and if you disagree with this, that's your right!).

The bottom line is this: I ain't changing shit. Y

ou don't like it? Guess what!?! You have free will! Stop reading my tweets, my blog posts, and my Facebook updates. Chances are...I won't miss you.

0 comments: