BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 23, 2012

I cried tonight

Today I took my son Lex to the Yankees game. I won't lie, I was so excited. For the first time, he was excited to go. When I asked him a few days ago if he wanted to go to the game, he actually said yes. Usually, he would say no and whine until I would psych him up for it. So I was beyond excited.

You see, baseball, specifically the New York Yankees, is my number one past time. I love going to games. Watching the games. Listening to games. And right now they are in the hunt for a playoff spot. So I was thrilled to be taking him today to the game and have him actually look forward to it. Not only was I taking my son to the game, but my boyfriend Chris was also going (who admittedly does not enjoy the game, as he is a Brit and is a soccer (excuse me, football) fan) and my parents as well.

But it was not meant to be. Not even two pitches in and Lex was already not interested in the game. Within a half inning he was bored. Didn't want to be there. After an inning he asked to leave. It was all I could do to not cry right there. But I just tried to keep him occupied and happy. My mom took him for a walk, bought him some ice cream. Then Chris and I took him to the museum but it wasn't really doing any good. He wanted to leave. I got to see a few friends while we were there, which was nice, and they got to see Lex, which is always great.  But we left right as the fifth inning ended. Lex saw maybe an inning or two.

On the drive home, I tried really hard not to cry. A few tears escaped as I explained to Chris that I was sad because I thought we had finally turned a corner because Lex had shown interest in going to the game. But it was just not so. I shook it off and gathered my composure.

But after I got home and put him to bed, I sat down and cried. I had really been looking forward to this. I had a bad few weeks. All I wanted was to enjoy a few innings of my favorite thing in the world with my son. But it just wasn't meant to be.

Hopefully next time it will be better. I may be disappointed, but I don't give up. And neither does Lex.

0 comments: