BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Lure of the Sports Fan's Road Trip

Last year, it was seeing the Yankees play in Chicago against the Cubs.

This year, it's seeing the Yankees play in Kansas City against the Royals.

Hell yes.

Some of you may not understand this. The excitement over spending money to go to a city I'm unfamiliar with, to go to a stadium I've never been in, to watch a team I've seen play day after day, play against a team that's not really anything special (sorry Royals fans) may seem pointless and kind of stupid.

But to anyone who has been on a road trip strictly to watch your favorite sports team play, you get it. You understand my excitement. The thrill of entering a new ballpark that you've never seen. Trying a new "signature" food that you just have to have. Exploring the city in your "non-game" time.

This KC trip is four days long for me, and includes a game every single day. I simply can not wait. The thought of that much baseball in such a compressed amount of time excites me beyond belief. And the fact that I'm going to get to go with my friends just makes me even more excited.

As I'm writing this, I think there are about six of my friends who will be joining me in Kansas City, not counting my girlfriend who I'm staying with. Last year in Chicago, there were over a dozen of us who ended up congregating and enjoying each other's company for baseball, food, sights, and way too much booze. I'm betting this year's trip will be just as much fun as last year's and I can't wait to find out.

I. Can't. Wait.